A week and a half ago, I was lucky enough to have the time to go to Olney Farmer’s Market. I really do adore farmer’s markets, they are a foodie’s dream providing a wide range of locally produced foodie delights; not only are they are they a great way to discover new local products, they are also a lovely way to spend a morning, browsing and talking to fellow foodie enthusiasts.
Olney is well worth a visit, even if the farmer’s market isn’t on. The small town has a food related history; the wold famous ‘Pancake Day Race’ has been run by many competitors here every Shrove Tuesday since 1445. Rumour has it that the tradition started when a housewife, upon hearing the bell for church, ran out of her house with her frying pan in hand as she had been preparing pancakes to mark the beginning of Lent. Each year, the women and children of the town run a 380m distance along the main road dressed in aprons and headscarves whilst flipping pancakes with onlookers from around the country!
The town is pleasant to walk around with many independent gift and antique shops surrounding the market square. There are also some wonderful food related shops including the Olney delicatessen on the main road, Bacchus Independent Wine Store which offers a large selection of local ales and Much Ado, a local deli and tea shop. The town also boasts several independent restaurants and cafe’s such as family runs Bean’s Coffee Stop which is on the market square along with the Bull Inn which has recently come under new ownership.
I must admit, Neil and I really couldn’t help ourselves and went a bit mad purchasing yummy treats from many different stalls! As so many different producers have stalls at the market, I thought I would write a post about our purchases from each one over the next few weeks.
Some of the producers in attendance were as follows:
- Anjon Chillies – Woburn, Bedfordshire
- Brown’s Gourmet Sausages - Wollaston, Northamptonshire
- Creative Fudge - Northampton, Northamptonshire
- Franklins – Thorncote, Bedfordshire
- Gunter Weber, Bee Keeper – Woburn, Bedfordshire
- Humbers Homemade Preserves - Flitwick, Bedfordshire
- Meah’s Curry Sauces - Luton, Bedfordshire
- Mytton Meats - Oundle, Northamptonshire
- Replete Flatbreads - Rushden, Northamptonshire
- Manor Farm – Boston, Lincolnshire
- Wobbly Bottom Farm - Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- Woburn Country Foods - Woburn, Bedfordshire
Watch this space for posts about our purchases and some of the companies featured above.